green grass

green grass

Sunday, August 1, 2010

back to the flow of things



back to Ohio. back to the world. back to the daily flow. This year's youth conference was amazing once again: preaching twice a day by a variety of preachers, and fun times packed in between. God really moved in the hearts of the 2,185 teens registered this year.
Before going down, I was not extremely excited for the trip. Yes, there was some excitement, but not as much as usual. I think one reason was the fact that i am 21 and attending a Youth oriented trip. But I was so wrong in thinking that I would not get much out of the preaching. God hammered and broke my heart. Our church took 7 teens, myself, my pastor and his wife, and I can hoenstly say I love each one of them. This year the conference had a Singles/College & Career track (which included over 100 ppl) alongside of the teens. We had an ice cream social one night, and went bowling until 1am another night (and just let me tell you, driving through mountains, 'S' curves, and straight down drops, is a bit frightening by yourself at 1am!) I had so much fun! While bowling, my team was talking about our teens. most of my team members were all complaining about their group; whiney 13 year olds, sleepless nights, long showers, and more and more. I didnt have a lot to say about my group, in a way i was missing being with them because I knew they were having fun, and even though they get on my nerves occasionally, they're just like my little brothers and sisters.
In our group devotion time on Thursday night, I could not hold back my tears. I was telling our teens about those college counselors complaining, and how God had been working on my heart about being a good example to both them, and other young people in my life. A few of the messages during the week had hit on that point of being an example and getting on the right track to Christ. Am I helping young people along the road? Am I helping them end up Still Standing when it matters? My heart was so burdened about trying to be a leader and a good example to those around me. Even thinking about it now, my eyes are misting, where I still have a heavy heart in this area.
I long to be an example to my young friends, to my young cousins, to those which I have NO CLUE who look up to me. We all have unseen eyes on us, constantly, and it is my fervent prayer that I be a good example to those around me; even when i stumble and fall. Young people really need good examples of people stumbling too, we are all human and make mistakes, we sin everyday. I am just so thankful that I have a heavenly Father who saved me by his Amazing Grace and allows his Son to be the perfect example.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel Andrea. I have been having trouble getting excited for 'youth' events. Not that they really are youth anymore because I think the biggest number of us are beyond the typical 'youth' age haha.But it has been hard because our 'youth pastors' son is sick with brain cancer so he is only there every other week. He wants to go to 6 flags of Louisville at the end of the month, and I find myself lacking excitement. Ok the reason may be that amusement parks are not totally my thing, but I totally get what you are saying. I am glad that there was a college group for you and that God used that in a great way for you.

    It is hard sometimes to always make sure that you are leading the way for the younger ones, but it is such an important job. With God's help you will continue to grow and do better with it every day!

    ReplyDelete