green grass

green grass

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

...back into the swing of things...


I've been MIA for the past two weeks i believe..how sad! its been rather crazy around here! With spring quarter starting this past monday, I have been swamped with all sorts of stuff to do! I've decided that this quarter will be a suicide mission for myself, and ask for my sanity to be kept in everyones prayers :) Im taking on 20 credit hours again, and it all evens out that I will be reading about 2 or more books per week..why did i want to teach English again? ;)

I am pretty excited about everything going on this quarter though. For one of my classes we will be setting up reading workshops for a local charter school in Dayton. After getting seated on Tuesday my teacher put 5 stats on the board..and we had to write down our biggest fear about these stats, then we talked about them...
-Urban School
-Charter school
-98% African American
-60% below poverty level
-1/3 have one parent incarcerated
and this is where we are going to work 4-8th graders..I'm a little nervous about it, but definitely excited too! I'll be working with an 8th grade classroom( since 8th grade is closer to what I want to eventually teach), and I'll be working with one other person every week. Tomorrow we are taking a field trip to the Dayton Public Library with a piece of roller lugggage to fill up for our 'class library'! how exciting! Maybe I can do my own mini series on my experiences with these kids :)

now I'm off to catch up with all my online shenanigans, finish some more homework, and read Shakespeare! be jealous! ;) (haha..riiiiight..)

3 comments:

  1. I hope you do a mini experience series so we can join in. This sounds so exciting! I am excited for what lies ahead of you, and I will be praying for you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks amber! :) I'm definitely excited about it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sounds like you stay busy! I beat you will make a wonderful teacher! You are in my prayers! Thanks for the comment on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete