green grass

green grass

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Mirror

ok, so I know this is on FB...but I edited some and i'm thinking about submitting this one as my artistic piece (gotta make it into some sort of book/pop-up/fancified thing) for my class. feedback would be awesome, since I'm my complete worst critic and none of my stuff is good enough for me :)


A penny for my thoughts, oh no, I’ll sell ‘em for a dollar,

Sometimes life ain’t filled with applause and honor,

Forget your high society, I’m soakin’ it in kerosene,

I’m not enchanted by this world’s discolored lies and fields of green.


When your heart runs deeper than a ghost town gold mine, you know you’re bound to hit the mother load,

But how do I pull the gleaming gems entrapped deep in their dark abode?

How can I share my secrets and sweep away the dust when my heart wants to hide,

And how do you keep your feet on the ground when you know you were born to fly?


Well I may not be the prettiest girl around,

A wandering ugly duckling amongst monotonous swans in this one horse town,

Brushing shoulders with perfect peaceful, dangerously complacent beauty,

But there’s a road like a long grey ribbon as far as I can see, and it’s pulling independence out of me.


I’ve got this old guitar and a brand new set of strings,

I’m gonna take down this dirty mirror and give it a fling,

Glowing glass diamonds may cast a bright reflection,

But it’s the glittering shards like daggers who provoke introspection.


Clinging wide-eyed to the wheel because life ain’t always beautiful, but it’s a beautiful ride,

Maintaining my courage, whatever betides,

I guess that’s just the cowboy in me—high lonesome sounds are what I’ll always sing,

‘Cause tattoos and scars are different things.


No comments:

Post a Comment