green grass

green grass

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Reading Workshop Week 5: setting and candy




okay, so week 5 went okay..for the most part :) things were loud, things were a littleeee chaotic, but we got things done! Yes, after we left I had to take some ibuprofen for a headache before it turned into a monster, but it went fairly good.

This week we learned about Setting and Mood. The who, what, when, where, How, and the infamous pych eval question, How does this make you feeeeeelll.. hehe. I took in 9 of my scenery photography and had the kids split up and take three pictures per group. They had to tell us what they thought the photo was representing, and all the setting details. I hafta admit, they did a great job. After they told their stories, I told the real ones, and also found out that one of a lighthouse up by Lake Erie (Marble Head, to be exact) is one that my partner, Ami, lives by! She's from Sandusky and goes to Wright State (duh..obviously..). I thought that was an interesting tidbit! And the kids seemed quite in awe of the library picture...haha..they told us that it was the "Dayton Library in the scary section.." In reality it was the WSU library in the reference section...at least they got the scary part right...haha ;)

splitting the kids up was pretty fun too. We had three types of candies (tootsie rolls, regular hershey kisses, and the kind of Kisses that have both milk and white chocolate), and each kid got one; whichever they received, that was their group for the day.

Our last activity involved music, relating to mood. I played about 5 different clips ranging from Cajun to Blues to the Pink Panther to Beethoven. It turned out fun!

I think the kids are finally done testing us so much. I feel bad for yelling so much, but sheesh, they just dont know how to shush! But, they are in the 8th grade..and the classroom culture is loud and talkative, but things are going smoothly! And to think, we only have two more weeks left with them!

Tune in next week for: Plot..perhaps a dramatic story? ;)

PS..as for the leftover tootsie rolls..well they got taken to my last class of the day and shared among my small group in there...HA..lets just say some people should not eat chocolate and drink Mountain Dew..haha..oh how much fun we have ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment