green grass

green grass

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Reading Workshop week two: controlled chaos..or something like that..

Where do I even start? haha..oh what an experience Ami and I had this week!

Things I learned on Tuesday:
1. 8th graders are not like what I remember from my own middle school years.

2. I do not have a problem disciplining students from my cooperating Teacher's classroom. Especially when the teacher doesn't look up from her computer while guests (us) are present.

3. something Ami and I are rusty on, two words: classroom management

4. two college white girls do not pick out the "right" books for colored children (according to a student)

5. be prepared for random questions at any time...(such as.. "do you like Chipotle?" when asking the student if they have a question about the reading)

Things did not go as smoothly as I would have liked to hope, but it was not a disaster! Looking back at it, it was quite humorous. I'm sure we looked like we didn't know what we were doing. And I got laughed at for butchering names..(how do i know what they are?? Parents seem to use their imaginations for names anymore...)

This classroom is one which is noisy and contains very busy kids. While a few kicked back with their book, others, as my mother would say, "shoo-ed and blowed" the whole time he was supposed to be reading...

Upon walking out of the classroom; I followed Ami out, closed the door behind me, took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, while Ami collapsed against the lockers behind her in a fit of laughter. I'm sure we looked crazy to anybody watching. Our laughter and talking continued the whole way back to Wright State, and I even (subconsciously) took the longer scenic route back to school to de-stress some. (driving helps calm my mind)

This is certainly going to be a long ride! I think it will get better as the weeks move on, and hey, at least my purse didn't drop in the trash can this week! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Darn you white girls and your lack of knowledge on colored people books....shouldn't we all like the same sort of basic books, regardless of our color? I mean who doesn't have to read To Kill a Mockingbird in school?!?!?!?! I wish I could be there to watch all of this go down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol ohh i know, right? geez.. And to boot, I'm trying to stay 'politcally correct' with word choices and all that stuff!(..haha..now thats a joke in itself for me!) Anyone watching would get a good workout from laughing so much..seriously..lol

    ReplyDelete